My family


E-Mail Me

My parents
Robert Arthur Hultgren
October 30, 1921 - January 20, 1970
Frances Miller Hultgren
December 7, 1920 - April 15, 1964

My siblings
My sister, Eloise My brother, Larry My sister, Jenny with her husband Walter and sons Christian and Lane

Our Louisville family
Scott, Bobbi Jo, Natalie, Robin, Cassi, and I.

The Hultgren family line

My father's family descended from Johan and Anna Jonsson, who lived in Hult, Sweden, in the early 1700s.

My great-grandfather, Lorenz (also known as Lars) and great-grandmother Alma. The baby is my Aunt Adele. Also in the picture are my great aunts Tootsie and Agnes.
My great-grandfather, Lorenz Otto Hultgren, was born in Nodjehult in 1841. He ran away from home after his mother's death and worked for a wealthy family taking care of their horses until he was 15. In Stockholm he learned the cabinet maker trade by age 17. He lived in Germany, Russia and finally America and worked in Chicago for such firms as John A. Colby & Sons, Kimball Piano Co., A.H. Andrews Co., and Brunswick-Balke-Collander Co.

In Chicago he married my great-grandmother, Alma Matilda Nelson, who was born in Norkoping, Sweden, of poor parents. After her father left for American, she and her mother made a meager living by selling home-made sausage in the open market. After her mother's death, she went to live with her father in Chicago.

Undated photo of my fraternal grandparents, A.C. and Eloise. My fraternal grandmother's mother, Adele Wilhelmina Bollman Wersen, and my grandmother Eloise.
My grandfather, Arthur Carl Fredrick Hultgren (known as A.C.), did not have a high school or college education. After starting work as a newsboy, he went to work for the railroad and retired as Traffic Manager for the Shell Petroleum Company in New York City.

Undated oil painting by my fraternal grandmother, Eloise Hultgren. 
My grandmother, Eloise Madeline Wersen Hultgren, was a accomplished artist of oil paintings.

My parents, Fran and Bob
My father, Robert Hultgren (or "Bob"), was born in Villa Park, Illinois, in 1921. He attended Washington University and later graduated from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City. He was a U.S. Army captain with the Anti Aircraft Branch and served 3-1/2 years in the Pacific during World War II.

Dad worked as a television program producer/director for the National Broadcasting Company in New York City, starting in the late 1940s. His credits include The Howdy Doody Show, The Pinky Lee Show, Ruff and Ready, The Shari Lewis Show, Jeopardy! and General Electric College Bowl. He also directed numerous specials, including The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and national election coverage for NBC. He filled-in occasionally as the director of The Today Show and The Tonight Show. Dad worked for NBC for 20 years.
Clarabell, Howdy Doody, and Buffalo Bob Smith on The Howdy Doody Show. Lamb Chop and Shari Lewis on The Shari Lewis Show. Art Fleming (who along with Don Pardo taught me my first off-color joke) begins a round of Double Jeopardy on Jeopardy!

The Miller Family Line

My mother, Frances Miller Hultgren (or "Fran"), was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1920. She graduated from the Louisville Collegiate School, Vassar College, and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. She was also active during World War II in the American Theatre Wing War Service. She was a theatrical actress and her stage name was Frances Fielding.

My mother’s family took a very active role in the civic, political, and judicial life of Louisville and Kentucky for over two centuries.

My grandfather, Shackelford Miller Jr.
My grandfather, Shackelford Miller Jr.,was born in Louisville, Kentucky, He received an A.B. from Princeton University in 1914 and an LL.B. from Harvard Law School in 1917. He was in private practice in Louisville, Kentucky from 1919 to 1939.

On February 16, 1939, he was nominated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to a seat on the United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky and was confirmed by the United States Senate on February 20, 1939, and received his commission on March 4, 1939.

My grandfather, Shackelford Miller Jr., from a portrait presented to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
On November 23, 1945, President Harry S. Truman nominated my grandfather for elevation to a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on December 4, 1945, and received his commission on December 11, 1945. He served as chief judge from 1961 to 1962 and assumed senior status on November 1, 1965, but passed away before the end of that month.

Affectionately known to his many friends as "Shack," he lived his life in Louisville, Kentucky. He received many honors while at Louisville Male High School and graduated as valedictorian of the Class of 1910. His interest in High School was life long and the High School alumni honored him in 1956 with the school's outstanding alumnus award.

He graduated from Princeton in 1914 and pursued his studies at the Harvard Law School from which he received his LL.B degree in 1917. He joined the army in the spring of 1917, trained at Fort Myer, Camp Taylor, and Fort Knox. In August, 1917, he married Francis S. Effinger of Staunton, Va., and Washington, D. C. In 1918 he went to France as captain in the 335th Field Artillery Regiment.

Upon his return from France in 1919, he formed with his father, who had retired from the Court of Appeals, the law firm of Miller and Miller. In 1920 they were joined by his younger brother, Neville, and they continued the firm after the death of their father in 1924 until 1930. He was then associated for a number of years with Wilson W. Wyatt and later formed with Arthur Grafton the law firm of Miller and Grafton and engaged in private practice until 1939 when he was appointed by President Roosevelt as Federal District Judge for the Western District of Kentucky. In 1945 he was appointed by President Truman as Judge of the U. S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit and served for 19 years until his resignation on November 1, 1965. He was Chief Judge during 1961-62.

The legal profession had a high regard for his judicial talents. The late Judge Elwood Hamilton, in a tribute to him at a 1939 dinner of the Louisville Bar Association, said he possessed "those qualities which make for high judicial standing, including all-important mental and moral honesty and fairness of mind."

Following the death of his wife in 1931, he became active in Democratic affairs and served as Chairman of the Democratic City and County Executive Committee from 1932 to 1939. He was Chairman of the Democratic State Campaign Committee in 1938 and directed the successful primary campaign of Senator Alben W. Barkley, who later served as the 35th Vice President under President Truman, who appointed him to the U.S. Court of Appeals.

He represented the U. S. Government as a special attorney handling Louisville's slum clearance and low cost housing projects and was receiver of the old Banco-Kentucky Co.

He was active in the affairs of the Louisville Bar Association of which he was president in 1932 and of the Kentucky State Bar Association which honored him with the Outstanding Member of the Year Award in 1961. He was also active in the affairs of the American Bar Association and as a member of a special ABA committee, he worked for three years helping draft the American Bar Association's code of disciplinary procedures, and for a number of years he served as a member of the association's standing committee on professional ethics. He was a member of the board of directors of the American Judiciary Society and was appointed by the Chief Justice Earl Warren in 1960 to serve on a special committee to recommend improvement of the rules of practice for federal courts.

He was a member of the Louisville County Club, the Pendennis Club, the Filson Club, the Helium Club, the Lawyers Club, and the Second Presbyterian Church.

My great uncle Neville Miller in a 1925 photo.
His brother, Neville Miller, was mayor of Louisville, Kentucky from 1933 to 1937. He was valedictorian of his 1912 class at Louisville Male High School, and earned a bachelor's degree from Princeton University in 1916 and a law degree from Harvard Law School in 1920.

Uncle Neville practiced law in Louisville with his father and brother in the firm Miller and Miller, and was elected president of the Kentucky Bar Association in 1924. He primarily taught law during this time and became the first dean of the University of Louisville School of Law in 1930. After being active in the party for years, he was narrowly elected mayor as a Democrat in 1933, ending 15 years of Republican dominance of the office.

Uncle Neville led the city during the worst years of the Great Depression and helped reorganize city finances for the changing times. Miller is best known as the "flood mayor" for his leadership during the Ohio River flood of 1937, the worst in the city's history. He directed evacuations and relief efforts and made nationwide appeals for donations and volunteers over the radio.

Due to his use of the radio during the flood crisis, Uncle Neville briefly attained some national celebrity and, after a brief stint at Princeton, served as president of the National Association of Broadcasters from 1938 to 1944, spearheading the radio industry's support of the war effort. He practiced communications law in Washington, D.C. from 1945 until his retirement in 1974.

He also served as director of the Louisville Water Company and on the boards of the Louisville Free Public Library, the Park Board and the Civil Service Board.

My maternal great grandfather, Shackelford Miller, from a 1916 photograph at the Kentucky Court of Appeals.
My great-grandfather, Shackelford Miller, was chancellor of the Jefferson Circuit Court and later Chief Justice of the Kentucky Court of Appeals (which became the Kentucky Supreme Court). He graduated from the Louisville Law School.

My maternal great-grandmother, Mary Floyd Welman Miller, in a 1925 photo. 
My great-grandmother, Mary Floyd Welman, lived in Louisville through the age of 99 and spent many years of service in civic affairs and as a Democratic campaign volunteer and speech maker. At the age of 91, in 1954 she served as honory chairman of the Volunteers for Adlai Stevenson and was regarded affectionately throughout Kentucky as "the Grand Lady of the Democratic Party."

My great-great-grandfather, John Miller, married Barbara Anne Neville and into the Neville family in 1851. Her family, originally from France, went to England with William the Conqueror. Several Queens of England were from the Neville family, including Ann Neville, wife of Richard III.

My great-great-great grandfather, Col. Robert Miller, crossed the Cumberland Gap in 1796 and settled in Lower Pond, Kentucky (now called Valley Station).

His wife, Cassandra Moore, was the daughter of James Frances Moore, a captain of the Eighth Pennsylvania Regiment during the Revolutionary War. In 1780 he was on the staff of Gen. George Rogers Clark. As soon as Kentucky became a state he was elected to the Legislature where he served continuously until 1810 when he died upon the floor of the Senate in Frankfort. His brother, Col. Nicholas Ruxton Moore, was a Congressman from Baltimore. His sister Sarah Moore and her husband John Harrod fathered James Harrod who surveyed and laid out the first town in Kentucky, at Harrodsburg. Just as Harrod's men had completed the settlement's first structures, Daniel Boone was dispatched to call them back from the frontier and into military service against the Indians.